Kerala, my second home now

After Bharat Dharshan, we got a break of one month . I went home and was for the next 45 days down with severe bout of jaundice- an after effect of oily food for almost a year and unsafe drinking water we had during our Tribal Attachment in Bastar. Then, I commenced my journey towards Kerala, my parent cadre. For the next 32 years, Kerala was my second home.

First, we reported before the cadre Controlling Authority- the Chief Secretay of Kerala, who gave us pep talk about the people and the politicians, problems that confront the state and what was expected of us. After taking leave of him,we went around various departments and called on the Secretaries concerned. We called on the Heads of Departments as well. Thus after spending one week at the state headquarters, we left for the Districts allotted for District Training. I was lucky to be trained in Kottayam District of which Mr.John Mathai was the District Collector.

I was given a room adjacent to that of the Confidential Assistant to the Collector. I had the services of UDC Varghese and peon Thomas. I was alloted C4 quarters in the Devalogam- a colony of residential independant houses for Senior officers of the District. My house was 4 houses away from that of Mr.John Mathai's. Mrs.MAthai was very kind lady,who used to serve me curd rice and less spicy vegetables because of the health set back I had few weeks before my arrival at Kottayam.

As I was not given a vehicle to commute to the collectorate, I used to walk down 6 kms up and down to the collectorate every day during my attachment with the District Collector. Kerala state unlike the others do not pamper its officers particularly the probationers. Mr.Mathai asked me to sit with him in his chamber and observe the way he was taking meetings, redressing grievances and hearing cases. For lunch, I walked across the road to the small but decent hotel for lunch consisting of par boiled rice of kerala,fish curry and vegetables etc., I used to enjoy my meal particularly because of the nice fish curry.

In the evening, I used to walk back home and cook some skeleton food that suited my body condition. I did not miss much as I had been away from homely food since 1975. Of course, this trend should not have continued for another 3 years I got married to Ezhil Rani.

One morning Mr.Mathai sent for me. As soon as went in he asked me what my morning routine was. I said nothing special other than making some coffee and getting ready for the office. Enroute, I used to have my breakfast. He smilingly ordered that my training started at 6 am and as such I should report before him at the Officers' Club,which had an indoor shuttle court. and play shuttle with him. He even offered a raquet to play with. That was how I spent morning hours during the rest of my district attachement.

Then I was attached with the Deputy Collector( Election) Sh.Karunakaran. I learnt from him the way to conduct elections. In fact, I used to inspect all the Polling Stations set up in the District for the Parliamentary Election held few weeks away. On our way to Vaikom,known for Vaikom Satyagraham,we stepped into a hotel and had sumptuous meal with Kerala famous Karimeen- a back water fish and a delicacy. On another day, we stepped into a hotel in Changanacherry and had Ethaika Appam (banana fry,again a delicacy of Kerala) and a cup of nadan(counrtry) chai(tea without milk).

I was then attached with the District Judge for a one week training. MSs Fatima Beevi was the District Judge. After that I was attached for a fortnight with the Judicial I Class Magistrate from whom I learnt the steps in conducting hearing and writting out orders. He gave me some petty cases for disposal. I consulted him before finalising the order. He was living in the quarters opposite to my house.

Then came various other attachments with PWD,PHED,Rural Development Department, Revenue Department and so on. Thus, 8 months roled by and it was time for our return to Mussouri for the II Phase of our training spread over 4 months. After the II Phase,I was posted as Assistant Collector,Adoor,Quilon District. It was relatively a problem free and peaceful sub division. That was the time, I got married to Ms.Ezhil Rani at her home town Madurai. I had the fortune of serving under the District Collector Sh.N.V Madhavan. He was more friendly and jovial. Whenever I went the District Head quartes for meetings, he invited me for lunch or dinner. He attended my marriage at Madurai along with his family on 8 February,1981.

MARRIAGE PHOTOS I,II &III

Leave a Reply