As a College Teacher

I hardly had finished my Post Graduate Examinations that my father got me an application form for the Group I Examination. I applied for it and started preparing for. In the meantime, I got a job as an Assistant in the Life Insurance Corporation office,Thanjavur. I was hardly three months into LIC job , my results of M.A were out. Having come out successful, I registered with the Employment Exchange for Post Graduates. In early August,1973 ,I got the two offers- one for the post of Assistant Professor of English in Govt. College,Kumbakonam, one year temprory assignment job and the another as Clerk , permanent job, with State Bank of India,Mayavaram. My elder brothers advised me to take up the permanent job. Rather, I chose to pick up the prestigious but temprory job, so that I could find time to pursue my ultimate goal and simutaneouly earn some money. I wanted to stand on my own legs atleast at 23 years of age.
Next academic year, I was posted to Govt.Arts College, Tindivanam. By the end of 1974, I had applied for the post of Assistant Prifessor of English in response to the Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission (TNPSC) advertisement. I had also applied for the post of Programme Executive with All India Radio (AIR) in response to Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) advertisement. By end May,1975, I got an intimation from TNPC that I had been selected and posted to Govt.Arts College,Mannargudy-30 kms by road from Thanjavur. I used to commute to the college everyday by bus. On 3 August,1975, All India Radio, Delhi informed of my selection as Programme Executive in English and posted to Delhi Station. Without any hesitation my elder brother Somu advised me to take up the job in Delhi, which might perhaps the stepping stone for IAS. I reported before the Station Director of AIR,Delhi Sh.U.L Baruah on 8 August,1975. After feeling the waters of AIR for few days I sent my resignation letter to the Principal of Govt.Arts College,Mannargudy.

However, I realised that I had completed my 25 years of age and had not kept my promise to my father that I would one day get into IAS. I felt guilty and also sorry for not having followed the advice of my father to appear for examinations for Group I Service and I.A.S. He specifically advised me not to take up any job before making sincere and serious attempt to get into Group I or IAS. That was the first time, I did not pay heeds to my father's advice. I paid dearly for it, I feel in retrospect. of course, my attempts to get leave for preparation for IAS Examinations were turned down every time I asked for. Even then, how did I make into the IAS eventually?. We shall see in the pages to come.

Leave a Reply